Monday, December 12, 2011

Remembering Ian Watson

IMG_1814

The most respected colleague of mine, Ian Watson (1934 -2011), left us on December 8. We all ex-ES pals miss him so much.

Ian was an experienced editor in SCMP who was said to have co-founded Young Post. Later he left the company, and helped out in English Street as a part-time editor. I met him in 2002 when I first came to ES as a part-time reporter. At that time My English was too bad, always  flipping my Longman Dictionary page by page to find the appropriate words for my articles. I passed my piece to Ian, he read it, and complained to my boss, saying "this guy's English is crap. He always uses strange words.".

His first comment on me was harsh. But he himself was a nice old men, always willing to help and give advice, even to green young reporter like me.

Later I entered ES as a reporter, and was mostly responsible for writing news reports and analysis on current issues. To my surprise, one day he came to my seat, holding the printout of my piece with plenty of corrections and remarks on it. I thought he was going to blame me on my bad grammar, but his first sentence was, "Nice piece, Peter. Great viewpoints."

From that moment I realised that Ian actually didn't really mind my grammatical mistakes; the points were more important.

His remarks and advices helped improve my English a lot; I know ... till this day my English is still bad, my words are still strange, but at least I don't feel a shame to write and speak. Because I know even an experienced English editor didn't turn me down because of my English level.

Thereafter, there were times he came to my seat and give me a thumb up for my works. His encouragement was the most precious treasure of mine, giving me confidence to do better and better in my position.

In 2007 I decided to make a move and applied a post in BGCA. I found Ian as the referee.
He wrote back soon.

"Peter: It will be my absolute pleasure (tinged with sadness) to provide such a reference. In fact, if you like, I will put it in writing, for there a few good things I would say about you, my dear friend!!
Kindest regards,
Ian"

The following was his letter.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

This will confirm my acquaintance with Peter Pang, Editor of English Street magazine
with whom I have worked for the past five years.

The organisation that secures his services will indeed be fortunate to have him as a
colleague, not least for his analytical writing and management abilities, but also for his
Christian beliefs and attitude that embody a humanitarian outlook that is rare in the often
savage business world of today.

I have no hesitation in recommending Mr Pang to you.

Sincerely,
J B (Ian) Watson
Director
Edit24.com
(a division of
Stenhouse Portfolio Ltd)
Asia, Australia, Africa

Later I got the offer from BGCA successfully. I thanked Ian whole-heartedly for his appreciation.

But Ian actually did want me to continue my career in media industry. He recommended me to SCMP's editor-in-chief CK Lau, although I didn't think that I derserve such a recommendation.

"Dear Peter: No matter whether you make a move now or ever, I still felt it my duty to bring your efforts and leadership abilities to CK’s notice. Thanks for your kind words . . .
Yours in Christ
Ian Watson
and Josephine"

Finally I met CK and didn't got any offer thereafter. But I will remember his kind help in my career.

Later I and other ex-ES pals always had chances to go to his home in Lamma Island. He was so happy to see us and always shared with us his stories in SCMP and even the time he served as a Royal Army in Africa. We all loved him so much that we nicknamed him as "Yeh Yeh". Yes, he was just like our dear grandad.

n736065259_2090908_8950 IMG_1737

IMG_1764 IMG_1812

Ian passed away last Thursday after a heart attack at age 77. I will remember him and miss him forever. Thanks for everything, Yeh Yeh. After walking into the sunset, wish you another great journey ahead.

IMG_1800

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's really a touching story. May all good people like Ian will see God's face in His grace. RIP. Amen.
Pakkin

ML said...

Hey Peter, ES Michael here. I heard about Ian's obituary and was shocked by that. You know, I just moved to Lamma last month, and saw him a few times the week before he died! So sudden that when I first heard it I thought it was a scam - until I read your article here. Like you, I really treasure him a lot, more than just a colleague. Did you guys to to his funeral? Let me know if there's any plan.

peterpang said...

Hi Michael, when I got the details from other ex-ES pals, will let you know for sure.

Under the Black Suit

終於回來了,這可是我寫得最久的一個 Blog 站。早前因為無法再進入,一度升起寫過的東西無法再取回的恐懼;之後擺下了,過年後回來,終於的起心肝,重新找進來之法。其實也不是困難,一找就找到了。 生活往往就是差那麼一步,一口氣,可能就是一年。 網上寫文章的困擾就是...